Custody cases South Africa
Our law offices are situated in the heart of the CBD in a professional, safe settings. We are family legal experts when it comes to handling child custody, divorce and child maintenance legal matters. Throughout our years of experience, we have found that the legal rules for child custody tends to favor the mother, unless the mother happened to be unstable.
As time passed, the rules have changed and in turn, accommodates for the rights of fathers as well. With different circumstances constantly arising in custody battles; the law have had to adapt under these changing priorities as well. Today, fathers are more aware of their legal rights and make it their duty to educate themselves about their rights.
Our Lawyer Pty Ltd is a professional legal consultancy that offers legal services and to cater for the layman, we have managed to compile a range of child custody legal articles with expert legal advice. Simply click on the links below:
- Child custody visitation access- questions and answers
- Child custody frequently asked questions
- Father refused contact to his child. What are his rights?
- Father’s parental responsibilities and rights to his child.
- How do I get full custody over my child?
- Parental child abuse in custody cases- Cape Town
- What does it mean when you have primary residential custody?
- What happens in a case custody dispute when one parent is mentally ill?
Feel free to call our law offices today and have our friendly receptionist make an online appointment for you. Are you residing out of Cape Town? No problem Simply make use of national number on 087 701 1124 today.
Child custody for fathers
As previously mentioned, child custody rights are usually awarded to the father if the mother happens to be an alcoholic or substance abuser. Times however, have proven that there’s no hard and fast rule when it comes to awarding custody rights. The court will decide within the best interest of the child whilst the Children’s Act will be used as a guideline by legal experts on the way forward.
At the end of the day, the relationship between the parents plays a crucial role as both parents will need to reach a mutual agreement. A parenting plan is a common way of helping the estranged parents find a common ground. This agreement can be changed along the way as the circumstances or nature of the situation changes. Father however, should have equal access to their child and should be able to have visitation rights as well.
Parental rights in South Africa
The court can grant an order that can limit parental responsibilities and rights, depending on the nature or circumstance of the matter of course. However, when the court does make these changes, they will consider what’s in the child’s best interests.
When terminating parental responsibilities and rights, the court will:
- What is best for the child rather than parents
- The relationship between the child and guardian
- The dedication the guardian has shown to taking care of the child and
- Other factors that may be relevant to the court.
For more on your parental rights and child custody legal advice, call our law offices today and have an online appointment made for you for a professional legal consultation. Connect with us today!