Child Custody / Visitation / Access Questions and Answers

Child Custody Services

Child Custody / Visitation / Access Questions and Answers

advice-child-maintenance-child-custody-divorceWe introduced this Child Custody / Visitation / Access Questions and Answers page for you to post questions you may have on the topic. For example, if you want to know if you are entitled to custody, pose a question with some background facts. At the same time, should you be able to assist others who posted questions below, requiring some advice on Child Custody / Visitation / Access, please proceed and reply to their comments. In that manner, we would all be able to assist each other and increase our online knowledge base. Therefore, although we a are legal consultancy, specialising in family law, you may have problems or experiences that we have not encountered. Let us share in our knowledge of Child Custody / Visitation / Access.

We are conveniently located in the Pinnacle Building, in the Cape Town CBD. Click here to call us on (021) 4243487 or send us an email.

Other family law resources on this website

There are various other family law resources on this website that you may find useful. For example, there is a downloadable child maintenance calculator. The resources may assist you with whatever questions you have, or information you require on Child Custody / Visitation / Access. Therefore, after posting your question, or any time after, have a look at the useful resources and information on our website. Some of these resources are listed hereafter.

Articles and Q&A

There are a range of legal articles on this website dealing with various family law issues. Some of these articles are straight forward, outlining the legal position on a family law related topic. For example, how to apply for child maintenance, or how to get divorced. Other articles are written in the form of answering a specific legal question. For example, do I pay maintenance if I am unemployed, or what do I do if I want to leave the country with my child, and the other parent does not want to provide consent? Those articles are in blog format. This means that you are welcome to comment or pose questions to increase our knowledge base. The clear idea behind our website is that we want to make family law legal information more accessible and available to the public.

Downloadable resources

We created some downloadable resources for free on this website. They are:

1 Free Basic Will Tool Kit

2. Free Shariah Will Template

3. Free Divorce Starter Tool Kit

4. Free Child Maintenance Calculator

5. Free DIY Urgent Child Contact Toolkit

Feel free to download these useful resources. Click on the links above, and complete the online purchase process. The purchase price is R 0. Thereafter, a downloadable link would be emailed to you. Once you received the email, download it as soon as possible as the link would expire after two months. We hope that we assisted you with any queries you had on Child Custody / Visitation / Access. If not, feel free to arrange a consultation with us.

advice-child-maintenance-child-custody-divorceSharing is Caring

This and other articles and posts found on this website are written by Adv. Muhammad Abduroaf to assist people with various family law related issues they may have. If you find any of our articles, free resources and posts interesting, or possibly useful to others, please like and share it on Social Media by clicking on the icons below. For more interesting articles and information on Family Law, view our articles and Q&A page. If you have a family law related legal issue and you want someone to answer or reply to it, feel free to post it on our Family Law Blog. Therefore, kindly like and share.

Should you require any other legal services and advice, not related to family law, visit Private Legal.





Print Friendly, PDF & Email

12 thoughts on “Child Custody / Visitation / Access Questions and Answers”

  1. Hello. My daughter is 19 years old and does not want to visit her father? What can I do under the circumstance. The father is threatening to take me to court. Thank you.

    1. Good day
      Your daughter is a major in law, meaning an adult and she decides who she wants to visit. The father has no legal right to force your daughter to visit him.

    1. Dear Kouthar

      If you do not have Custody over your child, and the other parent does not want you to have it, then you would need to approach the Court. Here you may approach the Children’s Court or the High Court in you area.

  2. My son has a child but is not married to the mother, she isn’t allowing him to see his son. How does he start a case to seek visitation so he can see his son? Also I’d like to see my grand child. What rights do I have?

    1. Good day. We would advise you and your son to approach the Children’s Court in your area and make an application for contact to the child. You as grandmother have a right to apply too.

  3. Hi me and my kids father already have an custody agreement I have physical custody and he gets every other weekend and some holidays but now he’s telling the kids he wants full custody of all of them and it seem like we can’t compromise on anything unless his wife agree with it.

    1. Good day

      It is always best that a reasonable and amicable agreement be reached when it comes to children. However if you cannot do so, then the Courts would have to get involved. This is best avoided unless very necessary.

  4. Hi , i am divorced with two kids, i got custody of our kids and my husband agreed to collect them every weekend, he signed the court order . Since then , he has not stuck to the court order, he always has excuses not to collect them, and this has affected my kids in a bad way. He always has to work, and he keeps changing cell numbers, meaning the kids cant even call him when they want. Is there anything i can do for him to adhere to the court order?

    1. Good day. If the wording of the court is is that he must have contact, then you can make a case for contempt of court. If it says, is entitled to have contact, then it becomes difficult. The law cannot force a parent to want to spend quality time with a child.

  5. My son is almost 7 years old. He lived with the mom and her parents all his life. She recently remarried and moved out of her parents house. My son now lives with her mother and father in their house. I am concerned about his well being as there is no parent with him which he was accustomed to having and this is starting to have negative effects on his well being. I play a very active and extremely supportive role in his life. I am now looking at the option of applying for custody of the child to come and live with me.
    As the biological father, not married and with a stable job, can I apply for custody of my son?
    Please advise,
    Thank you

    1. We suggest that you first discuss the issue with the mother. If you still feel that the child would be best cared by you, and she disagrees, then you may want to consider seeing a mediator. If that does not work, then you would need to approach the Court. The court would decide what is best for the child. As a parent you have a right to apply for primary care. As to whether you would be successful, that cannot be guessed on the limited information provided.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *