Quick links

Need Professional legal advice? Click here – Advice.

Post a legal question, by clicking here:

Divorce | Child Custody | Child Maintenance | Parenting Plans

Call us, tap here: 0214243487  / 0870735800 / 0218117786

Our Offices - Our Lawyer

Our Location – Click to view on Google Maps


“I’ve made use of the legal services of Our Lawyer (Pty) Ltd – Adv Abduroaf on two separate occasions, and I was thoroughly impressed. The first related to a child maintenance issue and the second, an international relocation application with the high court. With both situations, I knew very little regarding the process and my rights, as an applicant. Adv Abduroaf took time in thoroughly explaining the situation, process of the application, strength of my case, and recommendations. He was available at any time to handle any further queries and responded to each almost immediately. I found him to be clear and honest always with his dealings. He was very knowledgeable around each situation and gave me the right advice to take things forward. His advice on my maintenance issue allowed me to proceed further on my own, with the maintenance court. My high court application was swift and smooth, and successful first-time round. The best part was that he was there every step of the way. I wasn’t even required to be in person, at the high court. The entire court application was completed in 6 – 8 weeks! I will highly recommend the services of Our Lawyer (Pty) Ltd – Adv Abduroaf and his team, through and through. ”

Fatima, Cape Town

Like our Facebook page

Child Abuse in Custody Cases – Cape Town South Africa

ByOur Lawyer

Child Abuse in Custody Cases – Cape Town South Africa

Parental Child Abuse in Child Custody Matters

This article is connected to the topic Child Custody and Visitation Court Applications. It may be useful to read up on it before proceeding to read further. Otherwise, read on to find out more about parental child abuse and the legal aspects surrounding it.

Parental Child Abuse is a common occurrence in our society. This article does not deal with the merits or demerits of parental child abuse. However, it gives light on this aspect in a child custody case.

What are the common forms of child abuse?

Child abuse can take many forms. This includes physical, emotional, sexual or psychological abuse. Each case may be different. However, the common theme, in a child custody situation would be that the child is being detrimentally affected by the parent’s conduct. Therefore, should a parent beat the child, neglect the child, or cause harm to the child, it would be seen as abuse.

What happens in cases of child abuse?

Of course, in extreme cases of abuse, such parent would be refused contact completely. This is especially in the case where the child would be traumatized should he or she have contact with the parent. However, what often happens, is that a parent would be granted supervised contact to his or her child. This is done to benefit both parent and child.

What to do when your child is being abuse by the other parent?

There are various things you can do to protect your child who is being abused. Those include going to the police, obtaining a protection order, or limiting the other parent’s rights with an order of court.

Should you approach the Domestic Violence Court?

As a parent, you may apply to the domestic violence court for a protection order on behalf of your child. This may be the best route to follow.

What about Court Application limiting parental rights?

Should there be a court order in place, affording a parent parental responsibilities and rights, you can apply to vary it. This would be applicable when supervised contact would be in the minor children’s best interests. The court would listen to both sides, and make a decision.

When should you consult with a lawyer?

Seeing that you are dealing with parental rights and responsibilities, it is best to first try to resolve issues with the other parent. If that does not work, then try mediation. Should that still not work, see a lawyer who would advise you on what would be best for you and your child. If need be, a Court application would have to be launched

Sharing is Caring

This and other articles and posts found on this website are written by Adv. Muhammad Abduroaf to assist people with various family law related issues they may have. If you find any of our articles, free resources and posts interesting, or possibly useful to others, please like and share it on Social Media by clicking on the icons below. For more interesting articles and information on Family Law, view our articles and Q&A page. If you have a family law related legal issue and you want someone to answer or reply to it, feel free to post it on our Family Law Blog. Therefore, kindly like and share.

Should you require any other legal services and advice, not related to family law, visit Private Legal.


About the author

Our Lawyer administrator

Legal Advisor for Our Lawyer (Pty) Ltd Call 0214243487 For appointments: https://www.ourlawyer.co.za/advice

1 comment so far

ShirlyPosted on4:28 pm - May 21, 2018

Good Day

I’m Shirly frm mpumalanga I’m unemployed ..how can I get your help because i am in need of yr help concerning my children.

Please help me ..contact me to XXXXXXXX

Leave a Reply

Call us now