I am looking for a lawyer (Attorney or Advocate) that can assist me with a Muslim Divorce

Best Advice Muslim Marriages in South Africa - Advocate Muhammad Abduroaf

I am currently married in terms of Muslim Rites. I want legal assistance regarding my divorce. What can I do?

In South Africa, there are close to a million Muslims. That is a minimal number compared to the entire population of South Africa. When a Muslim gets married, they need to follow the prescripts of Islam. The same applies to when they get divorced. This would either be via a Talaq of Faskh or other lawful manner. Therefore, lawyers would not get involved regarding the issue of the actual Talaq of Faskh. Lawyers would, however, get involved in property aspects or issues regarding minor children. This is what this article will deal with.

How do I resolve property disputes post-my Muslim marriages?

Spouses married in terms of Muslim Rites in South Africa would own their property. They are, therefore, not married in community of property where all their assets and liabilities are shared. In an Islamic marriage, the wife would own her property, and the husband would own his property. It can be compared to being married out of community of property without the accrual regime.
Therefore, unless your spouse owes you money or you want to resolve the issue of a jointly owned property, there would not be a claim against your spouse’s estate. If there is a specific reason why you think you are entitled to claim from the estate of your spouse at the time of your Muslim marriage divorce, then we strongly recommend you consult with a lawyer in this regard—for example, Universal Partnership.

How do I resolve Child Care and Contact disputes post-Muslim marriage?

There is no distinction between the rights and responsibilities of parents or children who marry each other in terms of Muslim Rights or Civilly (in Court or terms of the Marriage Act). Therefore, your case would be dealt with just as if you were married to your ex-spouse in terms of the laws of South Africa. However, because your marriage was dissolved in terms of a Faskh or Talaq, or not via a divorce court (where parental rights are dealt with at the divorce), you would need to resolve any disputes regarding care and contact after the Faskh or Talaq in a Court or law. You may either approach the Children’s Court or the High Court.

How do I resolve child Maintenance disputes, post-Muslim marriages?

Whether parents are married or not, their obligations towards the maintenance of their children remain the same. In other words, a person who was married in terms of Muslim Rites or Civil law has no greater or lesser obligation to maintain their child than a parent who was not married.
Unless a court dissolves your marriage and resolves the issue of child maintenance, you would need to approach the maintenance court for a maintenance order. In the case of a Mulsim divorce, that would happen after the Faskh or Talaq was finalised. However, any parent can approach the maintenance court for child maintenance at any time. They can do this while married, separated or after their divorce. You can also approach the court for a variation of the maintenance order for either an increase or decrease in child maintenance.

Do you require assistance with the legal issues regarding your Muslim marriage and divorce (Faskh or Talaq)?

Please get in touch with us if you require legal assistance with any aspect of your Muslim Faskh or Talaq. You may schedule a consultation using the link www.ourlawyer.co.za/advice.

About the Author

Advocate South Africa

Legal Advisor for Our Lawyer (Pty) Ltd
Call 0211110090
For appointments: https://www.ourlawyer.co.za/advice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may also like these

Call now